Carilion Clinic Update
By Dr. Badr Ratnakaran, MBBS (PGY-4 Resident in Psychiatry)
and Dr. Kishore Nagaraja, MD (PGY-3 Resident in Psychiatry)
As our nation continues to deal with the fall out from the pandemic and the angst–ridden Presidential election, we have had good news in our program in the last few months, that provides us a glimmer of hope and a smile in these interesting times.
The Chair of our department, Dr. Robert Trestman, has been announced as the recipient of this year’s Harry Stack Sullivan Award-Winning Lecturer by the Sheppard Pratt Professional Education Program. As part of the award, Dr. Trestman delivered his lecture, “In the Mood: Learning to Self-Regulate Affect and Impulse,” on 11/11/2020.
New residents and faculty have joined our program in the last few months. This year we have had nine new interns join our department:
- Dr. Oluwatomiwa “Tommy” Babade, graduated from the University of Ibadan College of Medicine, Nigeria.
- Dr. Amirreza Fallahi graduated from the University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Dr. Natalie Cagle graduated from the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Dr. Darlon Jan graduated from the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine.
- Dr. Tejaswini Doifode graduated from the Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medicine Sciences, Wardha, India.
- Dr. Seyed “Milad” Mirmomen graduated from the Ahvaz Jondishapour University of Medical Sciences, Iran.
- Dr. Bharath Muppala graduated from Nanjing Medical University, China.
- Dr. Ryan Ritch graduated from the University of Virginia School of Medicine.
- Dr. Mounica Thootkur graduated from the M.V.P. Samaj’s Dr. Vasantrao Pawar Medical College Hospital & Research Centre, India.
We also have had six new faculty members join our department:
- Dr. Anita Kumar Gill has joined as the System-Wide Director of Young Adult Services.
- Dr. Anilla Del Fabrro has joined as the System-Wide Director of Emergency Psychiatric Services.
- Drs. John Draeger, Kiran Khalid and Abhishek Reddy have joined as faculty at the Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Department at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital.
- Dr. Kathleen Elswick, a graduate of our Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship training program, has joined as a Child & Adolescent Psychiatrist at Carilion New River Valley Medical Center.
Our residents continue to pursue scholarly works and have had the following presentations at National conferences:
- Sood, A.B, Nayeem, S.F., Quadri, Gul., Thai, J., Parent Trap: How Asian American Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist Parents Reconcile Cultural Differences in Parenting Approaches. [Oral Presentation] presented at Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Virtual Annual Meeting; October, 2020.
- Ratnakaran, B., Kablinger, A.S., White, J.B., A survey of attitudes of non-psychiatrist physicians to consultation-liaison psychiatry. [Poster] presented at 2020 Association of Medicine and Psychiatry Virtual Annual Conference; October, 2020.
- Trinh, E.Q., Vance, J.E., Quadri, G., Nagaraja,K.G., Wu, Y., Effect of Youth Resiliency Checklist Score on Course of Depression in Child & Adolescent Outpatients. [Poster] presented at Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Virtual Annual Meeting; October, 2020.
- Ratnakaran, B., Lemelle, T.M., Banokole, A.O., A three year retrospective chart review of length of hospital stay of older patients admitted with delirium and with a positive urine drug screen for benzodiazepines and opioids. [Poster] presented at 2020 Virtual Annual Meeting of Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry; November, 2020.
Dr. Badr Ratnakaran was also awarded the 2021 American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training (AADPRT), Nyapati Rao and Francis Lu International Medical Graduate (IMG) Fellowship Award, and 2020 Trainee Travel Award by the Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry.
As there has been recent surge in number of COVID-19 cases in Southwest Virginia, we also have taken measures to expand services for our patients who struggle with their mental health in these trying times. We are currently in the process of converting one of our inpatient psychiatric units to treat patients with mental illness and who are positive for COVID-19 or under investigation for the same. Our residents are also currently doing more intakes to help patients to establish care with mental health services.
IS NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUR SMARTPHONE AND TABLET!
JOIN PSV TODAY!
February 19-20, 2021
REGISTRATION IS OPEN!
APA Find a Psychiatrist
Are you accepting new patients?
Opt into APA’s “Find A Psychiatrist” database. To view the functionality or opt-in,
FYI: A link for this option has been added to the PSV website. Select the “About” button and then “Find a Psychiatrist” from the drop down.